Syndicating archives blogs
I still haven't had enough time to process everything I took in or ideas I came up with as a result of the SAA conference. Many were more diligent than I and I'm sorry to say I didn't meet them, but some highlights follow:
- Geof Huth took notes on the SAA Awards Ceremony,
- Christie Peterson pitted Archon against Archivist's Toolkit,
- Jessamyn West blogged about her session on blogs,
- Peter Van Garderen discusses his experience at the conference including his session on archives and Web 2.0,
- and Merrilee Proffitt from RLG mentioned the blog session and RLG Roundtable.
I'm not even up to speed on the rest of the archival blogs out there. In a stroke of genius and madness I've got an idea that I may put into motion. I'm thinking about setting up an instance of Planet, a Python-powered web-based news aggregator. It's pretty common in the FLOSS world, and has been picked up by the code4lib folks; they're running theirs as planet code4lib. One of the reasons I think this is a good idea is that one doesn't need to use an aggregator (Bloglines, NetNewsWire, what have you) to get all of the content at once. This in turn eliminates a hurdle from those archivists that are not technically minded: they just need to be told to go to a single website to read everything. What do you think? Would you be willing to take part?